The Sixth Column
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Sixth Column

Official Forums of the Sixth Column

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Champions Online

Go down 
+9
Seyasmir
Heretic
Twig
Karnie
Nacht Kanzler
Killa
Leiter
Nacht Falcon
Peace
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Peace
Elite Guard
Peace

Champions Online Empty
PostSubject: Champions Online   Champions Online I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 8:54 pm

http://www.champions-online.com/

So there it is boys. Made by cryptic, and every possible thing you could want from CoH, packed into an entirely new mmo. Its not exactly "coh 2", but I'll take it (just gonna miss paragon Crying or Very sad)

I say its time to assimulate though, and begin the conversion!

Last edited by Peace on Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nacht Falcon
General
Nacht Falcon

Champions Online Empty
PostSubject: Re: Champions Online   Champions Online I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 10:37 pm

It's possible. Has it released yet?

My only potential problem (should we do this) is paying for the download.

Also, can we confirm they have SG-ish things?
Back to top Go down
Leiter
Admin
Leiter

Champions Online Empty
PostSubject: Re: Champions Online   Champions Online I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 11:05 pm

Mmph. I'm not entirely convinced of CO's superiority yet.
Back to top Go down
http://sixthcolumnonline.com/
Killa
Komtur

Champions Online Empty
PostSubject: Re: Champions Online   Champions Online I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 1:03 am

I haven't heard of anything about CO >.>
Back to top Go down
Leiter
Admin
Leiter

Champions Online Empty
PostSubject: Re: Champions Online   Champions Online I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 2:09 am

They're trying to bill it as 'We're doing everything CoH didn't or couldn't'. They're doing arch-nemeses, power customization, blah blah. Personally, I think we'll all go try it, then come right back to CoH.
Back to top Go down
Peace
Elite Guard
Peace

Champions Online Empty
PostSubject: Re: Champions Online   Champions Online I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 3:11 am

Naw, this game is also very close to how i think mmos will become soon.
the whole "run up to a mob, click auto attack, then click your powers and watch numbers" is a dead play.
I don't know about pve, cause npcs can only act so human, but pvp in this game should be intense.
Its live action, you dodge attacks yourself, you block yourself, its very dynamic.
Also it is the same people who made coh, so who's to say it wont be at least AS GOOD as coh, and if its that, itll be new and have pvp, meaning itll be better for me Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Leiter
Admin
Leiter

Champions Online Empty
PostSubject: Re: Champions Online   Champions Online I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 10:19 am

Yeah, but it's Jack Emmert from CoH... Statesman. The guy behind Enhancement Diversification and other wonderfully obnoxious ideas?

For me, a lot of the draw of CoH comes from the really open community and the awesome developers we have. Matt "Positron" Miller, Floyd "Castle" Grubb, Melissa "War Witch" Bianco... all these guys are awesome. Statesman, however, was a dick. And HE's the one in charge of CO.
Back to top Go down
Peace
Elite Guard
Peace

Champions Online Empty
PostSubject: Re: Champions Online   Champions Online I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 12:34 pm

enhancement diversification, while annoying, was necessary. That's why I liked Jack Emmert, he did what was needed for the game, not what made everyone happy. I'd like Posi and the rest of them if instead of putting in something new, like the ouroboros system (however awesome it is.), they fixed things that were needing to be fixed for ages

...like for example:
Pvp(cross server zones so we can actually HAVE PVP, and pvp IO sets to give incentive!)
Base Raids(these have NEVER worked properly, and now arent used at all...and this is over 2 years old damnit.)
Heroes/Villians equality (though i said last night why this will never happen, itd be nice to see attempts)
...and so on.

THEN come out with shit like ouroboros, but don't sugar coat it with new content cause you dun wanna fix the old.
Back to top Go down
Nacht Falcon
General
Nacht Falcon

Champions Online Empty
PostSubject: Re: Champions Online   Champions Online I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 7:45 pm

Ugh, Peace, explain why heroes/villains will never be balanced, I couldn't listen to you whine cause my computer's shit.
Back to top Go down
Nacht Kanzler
Kapitan
Nacht Kanzler

Champions Online Empty
PostSubject: Re: Champions Online   Champions Online I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 8:10 pm

I'll be sticking with CoH. I'm not going to live through more of Jack Emmert's screwups.
Back to top Go down
Karnie
General
Karnie

Champions Online Empty
PostSubject: Re: Champions Online   Champions Online I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 9:15 pm

I'll probably try it to, i've signed up for the beta, though my chances are little to none on getting entrance. Even so, I don't think CO is actually as good as people think it is. Sure, you can customize your powers and they're aren't -set- classes, but power customization and class customizaiton can only go so far. If they go past the line, then that would just be straight out overpowered, like a high damage ranged character with heals and self buffs. That just doesn't work correctly in my mind. I'm free to changes, but I think CO will turn out like the Warhammer and Age of Conan situation. Most people usually come back to their games since the new MMO's that come out aren't fit enough to a player with experience on other games.
Back to top Go down
Peace
Elite Guard
Peace

Champions Online Empty
PostSubject: Re: Champions Online   Champions Online I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2009 2:47 am

yeah karnie, thats a problem with all new mmos, its been unofficially tagged the WoW syndrome lol. People are comfortable with their games, and put so much work into it, that they dont want to restart on something new, the trick is to simply make a better game with an entirely new experience, sadly thats why warhammer wasn't as successful as it should have been. To familiar since wow had been out for 3 years now...even though warhammer WAS the original so WoW should have been the one to get the shaft...just kinda how shit goes i gues, early bird gets the worm and such.

And as for villian/hero equality, i was say that it wont happen cause hero classes were built for pve experiences only and villains were built with pvp in mind. So when CoH came out, the classes were built so that when they teamed up, they made a dynamic pve group, with each clas having a specific job. this overpowered them in pvp because of their dominance over the more hybrid classes in villains.

Sorta like how tankers NEVER die in pvp, but brutes are much weaker cause theyre more of a hybrid styled tank.
Back to top Go down
Nacht Falcon
General
Nacht Falcon

Champions Online Empty
PostSubject: Re: Champions Online   Champions Online I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2009 3:25 pm

Ah, that makes sense. And very agreeable. However, I can agree with Karnie on one thing: I don't appreciate how any class can essentially buy any power, just at different costs. It screams "Mage Tank" in my head. PvP will, essentially, become the same characters fighting each other, just with different people behind the screen. I can't say that that's exactly how it will pan out, but it's looking like it.

Also, CO was -not- made by the same people who made CoH, persay. It was made by Jack Emmert. Jack Emmert is nothing without the rest of the CoH team. Also, if you look at all these characters they have, there's some pretty similar shit. "Defender" looks a helluva lot like Statesman, and the villain "Ankylosaur" is definitely based off of Black Scorpion. The whole game takes place in "Millenium City", which was Detroit in 1997, until is was destroyed by "Doctor Destroyer". Uh, what? -That's- the big bad boss man of CO? Lord Recluse could kick his punk ass anyday. You can also go to outerspace to fight aliens, where there's a gladiator arena on a freakin' moon. You can go underwater and fight fish-people. And you can go to Canada, and fight drunk Canadians. I don't know about you, but those seem to me like Rikti, Coralax, and Canadians in CoH, except in CoH, they come to Paragon, not you go to space. But if CoH wanted to, they could damn well send you into space. It's just stupid, is all. What're they gonna do, put them in space suits? Or, because they're super heroes, they can withstand the massive pressure of space, and breathe despite the lack of oxygen? I mean, these are sci-fi/fantasy games, but let's be real for a minute.

Overall, I'm not impressed thus far. If the game turns out better than I'm assuming, then fantastic. But I won't be playing CO personally until there's an SG decision to move to it, -if- there is.
Back to top Go down
Peace
Elite Guard
Peace

Champions Online Empty
PostSubject: Re: Champions Online   Champions Online I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 4:53 pm

Desa vu!!!

Champions has been a pen and paper game (like D&D) for over 20 years. Kinda like Warhammer has been a table top for like 30 years. Both got shafted by earlier development of the other games. So any resemblance to CoH is you just associating it with what you know, or ripped off of Champions.

Though right now I do think I'll miss Recluse and Statesman and all that....Though CoH did a horrible job of making you feel associated with them, hell statesmen just recently became SEEABLE. I've heard rumors that the heroes and villains of CO will be EVERYWHERE, acting like heroes act, not standing in a park

As for "mage tanks" or "blaster stalkers"...of course it's what will happen and for me, thats what I see as cool. You getting rolled by someone is entirely YOUR fault, not the classes, and this adds a huge new layer to gameplay. No "I'm a tank so I HAVE to tank". Besides, how often in super hero comics (which is what superhero games should be based off of) do you see one freaking guy getting attacked while someone else heals him and the rest blindly pick off people. In fact, people usually run away from "The Hulk" heroes right?

All I'm saying is give it a chance.
Fresh start, second chance...and not CoH: All good reasons to think about this game
Back to top Go down
Nacht Falcon
General
Nacht Falcon

Champions Online Empty
PostSubject: Re: Champions Online   Champions Online I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 7:05 pm

Deja Vu* Spell it right.

Also, like I said, I will give it a chance. I'm just, thus far, not impressed.

And as a point, I don't want Statesman running around acting as a hero if he's gonna go ahead and steal my kills. Cause then I'll be pissed. Plus, there's some amount of charm in not living directly under Statesman's and Lord Recluse's shadows... Cause lets face it, no individual will ever have the power either of them holds. So, by distancing you from them, you can still feel powerful, despite being nothing close to it.
Back to top Go down
Twig
Admin
Twig

Champions Online Empty
PostSubject: Re: Champions Online   Champions Online I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 10:59 pm

I really dislike Champs artstyle, strait up.

Statesman came Issue9. Almost two years ago. lol.
Back to top Go down
Peace
Elite Guard
Peace

Champions Online Empty
PostSubject: Re: Champions Online   Champions Online I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 28, 2009 8:34 pm

Suck my dick, was that spelled right?

And I guess you fail to realize the whole "my mob" shit most mmo's have now, you hit them first even if someone takes them down the rest of the way, the xp still goes to you.WoW has it(the target actually appears grey when you scroll onto them if they aren't your teams mob or yours), WAR has it(forgot how they do it here, same I think), and I'm like 90% sure CO will have it. Ill ask on the forums.

So theyll actually be helpful, and itd be cool as hell to fight by the side of the games main characters.

And the artstyle has grown on me. Look at videos, it doesn't look as cheesey and the powers really flash, and the costume customability is fucking rediculous in this game, I'll be up for 3 hours working on one fucking character before I even play the game.
Back to top Go down
Nacht Falcon
General
Nacht Falcon

Champions Online Empty
PostSubject: Re: Champions Online   Champions Online I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 12:51 am

I do that already with CoH. Remember that?

And when I watched the video, I was even more pissed. Two guys were fighting by using the same exact "attack" ( Which for one was a Haymaker-style punch and the other a ridiculously long combo with his dual blades ) over and over. It seemed lackluster and dull. At least when I'm on CoH, my Super Strength and Dual Blade attacks look a little different as I cycle through my moveset.
Back to top Go down
Killa
Komtur

Champions Online Empty
PostSubject: Re: Champions Online   Champions Online I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 7:28 am

Look. You feel comfortable with CoH. Sure. It lacks what I was talking with Twiggy about.

Sure you'll think Mage Tank etc. If you have ever played Elder Scrolls... there are such things as Battle Mages, but with every choice, you are sacrificing a little bit. They're not going to make 'Gods' available in this game.
Back to top Go down
Peace
Elite Guard
Peace

Champions Online Empty
PostSubject: Re: Champions Online   Champions Online I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 12:06 pm

Yeah...and honestly, if you don't want to play it just shut the hell up and get away so I can post information to those curious, and not have to correct your comments (because if the video i think your talking about is the one im thinking about the dual blades were showing how FAST fighting can be, almost every swing was a different attack, not one attack).

This is the same reason no one wanted to play warhammer, some people said some stupid shit and everyone just kept up with 6 year old CoH (lacklusterly playing I might add), I'm not saying this is the game, but it's damn time to move on, and this game seems like the logical choice.

But yeah, so if anyone is interested, there is this world called Lemuria right. Its under water right, I mean man, its freaking under water! Lets talk about that.

Last edited by Peace on Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Killa
Komtur

Champions Online Empty
PostSubject: Re: Champions Online   Champions Online I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 1:55 pm

I want to stretch what Peace said lol.

I love CoH, but only because there seems to be no game out there that actually compares to its character creation. Hell, if CO is what they say it is, then I might be moving to CO just to get a new fresh game in.

Honestly, I have played WoW, because of the 'Huge' world it is. But it eventually got boring once you hit a certain lvl, because then it became the point where you had to do instances to 'be' any good.

I have played other MMOs such as SWG, which I loved because I am a SW fan more than anything else. I have also played Matrix Online, which I am a good fan of the Matrix, it was actually pretty fun, but lacked some good interest and took a million years to lvl up after lvl 10 lol. I played EvE Online, which was a fun space game, as long as you had a corp that was actively doing things.. other than that you just logged in to train up. It was boring most times.

But this entire time I will come back to CoH, because you could RP easier. You didn't even need to Role play being a hero. You can RP being anything.

Though I will probably being a CoH player until it creates another version exactly like CoH, but maybe better stuff because well, it does lack a few things.

This is a chance to get some things out of CO that we could hope that CoH was lacking. Maybe eventually there will be villains etc..

I was chit-chatting with a few peeps in a team and they were more or less leaving CoH to play CO this spring time possible release.
Back to top Go down
Peace
Elite Guard
Peace

Champions Online Empty
PostSubject: Re: Champions Online   Champions Online I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 3:21 pm

CO will have villains, they have said that. They just haven't confirmed how they will have villains. There is an interview with Emmert where he says he wants you to be able to play your Nemesis as your villain, which I found brilliant. At first I thought the Nemesis system was ok, but people would exploit the shit out of it. If they added this to the game, it would give you incentive to make a kick ass nemesis, not just some scrub you beat up.

Also, this means that when you create one character, instead of creating just him, your creating your villain character as well that will in all likeliness be getting leveled at the same time. Creation stops becoming "these characters" and becomes "This set of characters". Thats groundbreaking. Its also a reason I'm really into The Old Republic (new star wars mmo from KOTR), they have a system where you have a partner with you all the time, which gives me the old feel of KOTR and makes things seem less like I'm playing an mmo and more like I'm following a story.
Back to top Go down
Killa
Komtur

Champions Online Empty
PostSubject: Re: Champions Online   Champions Online I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 3:30 pm

Peace wrote:
CO will have villains, they have said that. They just haven't confirmed how they will have villains. There is an interview with Emmert where he says he wants you to be able to play your Nemesis as your villain, which I found brilliant. At first I thought the Nemesis system was ok, but people would exploit the shit out of it. If they added this to the game, it would give you incentive to make a kick ass nemesis, not just some scrub you beat up.

Also, this means that when you create one character, instead of creating just him, your creating your villain character as well that will in all likeliness be getting leveled at the same time. Creation stops becoming "these characters" and becomes "This set of characters". Thats groundbreaking. Its also a reason I'm really into The Old Republic (new star wars mmo from KOTR), they have a system where you have a partner with you all the time, which gives me the old feel of KOTR and makes things seem less like I'm playing an mmo and more like I'm following a story.

Oh, and that's another game I'll be go for as well. Nacho's mom works for Lucas Co. lol so I'll be joining that with him when it comes out as well. So my time in CoH will be cut dramatically then. I love the Sixth, but I feel the need to push for a new gave for us.

They just implimented the Guild System in CO, and I know that when the game comes out, I'll be in attempt to make this SG there.
Back to top Go down
Nacht Falcon
General
Nacht Falcon

Champions Online Empty
PostSubject: Re: Champions Online   Champions Online I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 8:35 pm

Okay, Peace, I've got every right to bitch and moan about this game. You may think it's me just hanging on to CoH desperately and not wanting people to move on to something potentially better, but you coating it in sugar and honey doesn't help anyone. Yes, I realize this game has potential. Yes, I like the Nemesis system. But some of this shit just seems fuckin' dumb from my viewpoint. So, when I post things I find negative, it's supplying people interested with information on the game too. Nothing sweet, but it's the fuckin' truth. So suck it up and stop bitching, someone has to be the devil's advocate.
Back to top Go down
Killa
Komtur

Champions Online Empty
PostSubject: Re: Champions Online   Champions Online I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 9:09 pm

It's not applying information Falcon Razz that's an opinion not a fact.

If you don't like it, explain 'exactly' why so we can look into it as well. It doesn't help just saying it sucks Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Champions Online Empty
PostSubject: Re: Champions Online   Champions Online I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Champions Online
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Sixth Column :: City of Heroes :: General Activity :: General Discussion-
Jump to: