The Sixth Column
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Sixth Column

Official Forums of the Sixth Column

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Peacebates

Go down 
+5
Karnie
Killa
Leiter
Twig
Peace
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Peace
Elite Guard
Peace

Peacebates Empty
PostSubject: Peacebates   Peacebates I_icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2009 2:26 am

O yes, its time for something I am coining Peacebates, meaning, debates with Peace. You've been warned.

Here are the rules: You make a point on the subject, I tell you why your wrong. Rinse repeat until you want to cut yourself.

Our frst topic is.....::drumroll::
Taxing Sodas! Yes, the government has shown that they have yet even more massive ballsacs with this idea to tax soda drinks. They plan to charge around a 25 cent tax per soda.

State your opinion, and I will take the opposite, since I can take both sides on this case.
Back to top Go down
Peace
Elite Guard
Peace

Peacebates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peacebates   Peacebates I_icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2009 2:28 am

^^^^^^^^ 1000th post, suck it jacks!!!
cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Twig
Admin
Twig

Peacebates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peacebates   Peacebates I_icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2009 3:21 am

100th. Stupid fuck.

And that's awful. i'll probably just buy water now. Whats there to debate Razz
Back to top Go down
Leiter
Admin
Leiter

Peacebates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peacebates   Peacebates I_icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2009 10:34 am

Nah. I don't want to hurt you, Peace. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://sixthcolumnonline.com/
Killa
Komtur

Peacebates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peacebates   Peacebates I_icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2009 5:33 pm

I would rather say... with the economy at this current state, they are really trying to hurt themselves more?
Back to top Go down
Karnie
General
Karnie

Peacebates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peacebates   Peacebates I_icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2009 6:09 pm

Well I think this is just a terrible way of the gov. to get money. Sure, lots of people buy sodas, but alot of people buy water. I mean it's not that hard to go without sugar in a drink is it? xD
Back to top Go down
Killa
Komtur

Peacebates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peacebates   Peacebates I_icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2009 8:19 pm

Well they already decided to splosh that idea and decide to get it from health care >.> gg!
Back to top Go down
Twig
Admin
Twig

Peacebates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peacebates   Peacebates I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2009 12:03 am

Leiter wrote:
Nah. I don't want to hurt you, Peace. :D
Naw Leiter, you'll win after the first post and then Peace will begin to start posting panicky gibberish that only he thinks makes sense (He'll actually believe it too.) And we all just look away and put our heads down in shame.
Back to top Go down
Nacht Falcon
General
Nacht Falcon

Peacebates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peacebates   Peacebates I_icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 9:49 pm

Isn't that hurting his mind? I don't get it.

But anyways, taxing this may bring about the Boston Pepsi Party, in which countless shipments of tasty soda are needlessly tossed into the harbor by American extremists dressed as Natives! The tragedy!
Back to top Go down
Twig
Admin
Twig

Peacebates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peacebates   Peacebates I_icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 11:54 pm

Hahah, yeah I see Fox News running the whole thing.
Back to top Go down
Opus
Soldat
Opus

Peacebates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peacebates   Peacebates I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 12:57 am

Boston Pepsi Party > Lemon Party
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/domeslap
Vati
Kapitan
Vati

Peacebates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peacebates   Peacebates I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 6:23 am

So wait. The American government is in a recession, there's a Democrat in office, and he's raising taxes. Isn't that normally what happens?
Back to top Go down
Opus
Soldat
Opus

Peacebates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peacebates   Peacebates I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 7:50 pm

Peacebates Political-pictures-barack-obama-turned-water-into-bud-light
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/domeslap
Twig
Admin
Twig

Peacebates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peacebates   Peacebates I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 9:13 pm

THE PRESIDENT ENJOYS A CASUAL ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!:? !?tp;'
vgbcsdvbfhnbvbw;
f'rgbn
b,wer'
gn. bui9 hefvbgqsvujdfvwdfiojefguiowerjhngqjsf[ qlvthrth;
rt
h\t'
hwer
ghqejfg
qwejhqergwergqwer'
gqwerjkh
qwerjkh
2erh
Back to top Go down
Nacht Falcon
General
Nacht Falcon

Peacebates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peacebates   Peacebates I_icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2009 5:08 am

That's what I said!
Back to top Go down
Twig
Admin
Twig

Peacebates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peacebates   Peacebates I_icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2009 5:37 pm

I love how much Peace fails at his own debates.
Back to top Go down
Nacht Falcon
General
Nacht Falcon

Peacebates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peacebates   Peacebates I_icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 9:30 pm

Peace was debating?
Back to top Go down
Peace
Elite Guard
Peace

Peacebates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peacebates   Peacebates I_icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 5:51 am

You all suck

and nope, peacebates got ruined before it started, and you know why?

Twig is a faggot

Again
Back to top Go down
Leiter
Admin
Leiter

Peacebates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peacebates   Peacebates I_icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 12:16 pm

It figures that your refusal to debate would spark a debate in and of itself.

Your use of the term 'faggot' is highly offensive, and though I have seen you (almost all of you) use the term and others like it before, this forum provides an excellent opportunity for me to speak up like I should.

Even though I am not personally gay, good friends of mine are, and your use of the term 'faggot' is as offensive to the gay community and their supporters as the term 'nigger' is to black people or the word 'cunt' is to women.

The increasingly prevalent use of words like 'faggot', 'homo', and 'gay' as insults among teenage and adult men as derogatory words highlights the unaccepting, ignorant, and overtly hostile nature of the majority of people in America against homosexuals. The fact that such uses for the words have become commonplace is, I think, sad and disgusting.

While I have not censored your use of the word on this forum, and while I will continue to not utilize the auto-censor feature, my estimation of you, and anyone else who uses terms for gay people (or any other minority, for that matter) as derogatory terms or insults, falls every time you do so. Please have some consideration for the language you use, and how it might offend those reading it.
Back to top Go down
Nacht Falcon
General
Nacht Falcon

Peacebates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peacebates   Peacebates I_icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 7:54 pm

I'd actually like to raise some points on this, Leiter.

First of all, while I may not much on this forum, oftentimes I use the term "faggot" as an insult. This, I admit. However, I never use it in reference to someone I actually know is gay, unless they really deserve it. I'm not against homosexuality, or part of it, but I could give a care less if someone's gay. I don't associate the term faggot with gays, I associate it with assholes.

Second, I don't understand how "cunt" is derogatory to women. That's like saying the term dick is derogatory to men. It doesn't add up. In my opinion, the two are just insults geared to each sex.

Now, finally. I know that some people take certain words as insulting. Now, my opinion is, these kids are too sensitive. It's gonna happen. They're just words, and people need to get over 'em. There is always going to be someone out there who hates you for no reason other than you're you. If that made sense. Now, personally, I throw around insults pretty frequently. But when I do, it's because either:
A. I'm joking with a friend, and I'm jealous cause they made a witty joke that victimizes me and I have no response to match it

B. I seriously think the kid needs to get knocked down a few pegs.

Now, usually, you can tell which of those it is by my tone. I don't think that needs explaining. But, you see, if I don't poke fun of someone from time to time, chances are I don't like 'em. So, if I fling the occasional insult at you, take it as a demented form of friendship, unless you genuinely think I'm pissed.

Now cut this serious crap, it's giving me sinuses. Besides, let's face it... Nobody is joining this forum community so soon. Our revival isn't going as swimmingly as we all hoped.
Back to top Go down
Leiter
Admin
Leiter

Peacebates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peacebates   Peacebates I_icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 8:59 pm

Falcon -

Faggot is a term associated with gays, as much as nigger is associated with black people. It is a term used to denigrate and insult homosexuals specifically, and the fact that you associate it with assholes is a sign that the word has come to automatically associate gay people with hostility and discrimination.

I find the word cunt extremely offensive to women in general and to me specifically. The word has been used for centuries to refer to women, usually prostitutes or wives, and signifies the epitome of a woman is merely her 'cunt'; i.e., it objectifies and sexualizes women in one of the most offensive ways possible.

Unfortunately for men, who have been the ruling gender since time began, similar words simply don't have the same power when geared towards men as they do when geared towards women; with the history of gender discrimination, it will always be more offensive for a man to insult a woman with 'cunt', just like it will be more offensive for a white man to insult a black man with 'nigger'.

If nothing else, I can assure you that if I ever hear you call me or someone else a 'cunt', or refer to a woman's genitalia in such a way, I would harshly reexamine our friendship. Please at least refrain from using such words around me.

Lastly, I have no choice but to respond to this statement:

Quote :
They're just words, and people need to get over 'em.

There is no such thing as 'just words'.

I say this as an English major, and I say this as a human being.

For the human race, our use of language is the one main factor that separates us from beasts. Every word you say, every sentence you utter, means you have specifically chosen those words to express your sentiment, whether you meticulously chose them or just blurted them out. Every word has a different connotation; if you say you are lugubrious, melancholy, depressed, morose, feeling blue, upset, you are still saying that you're feeling sad, but in such differing ways with each word. Similarly, if you call someone a bitch, a whore, a cunt, a faggot, an asshole, you are saying similar things, but never the same, and with varying intensities and offensivenesses.

In our language, there are certain words that have such very negative connotations; you would never be caught calling a friend of yours a nigger or a spic, would you? So why is it okay to call them a faggot? Is one minority more worthy of offense than another?

The answer to that, by the way, is no.

I'm not, by the way, arguing this because I'm trying to keep up appearances for any newcomers. This is a topic that legitimately concerns me, so I will keep up the "serious stuff" until I'm bloody well done.
Back to top Go down
Twig
Admin
Twig

Peacebates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peacebates   Peacebates I_icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 9:33 pm

Why is it no okay to ask someone to take no offense to what you say because you mean it in no real, hateful way, but it's okay to tell somebody to quit saying a word altogether?

My brother is a homosexual.
One of my best friends is a homosexual.
I have accepted homosexuality more than most people, it's safe to say.
I use the word faggot all of the time.

See the magical thing about words is they change too. If I say faggot as a general term for a dumbass, then no one is telling me other wise. I don't care what society has used it for, I don't care what Webster has to say about it; If I call you a faggot and it is in jest, or is not geared toward your sexuality (Which it always is, and never is, respectively), it is up to you entirely to take offense to it. I meant no harm.

As a common courtesy I'm not spouting "Cunt, Nigger, Shit, Tits, Ass!" In Wal-Mart. But in a hallway, or with my friends or around people I know closely I would hope to think that they knew I wasn't that type of person just because I said "faggot".

I disagree. I believe there IS such thing as "Just words". And I say this as some high school kid. Words are just words, they come together to explain things, makes sentences, and convey, but the real intent behind them comes with how they are said or why they are said.

"Twig is a faggot" Is VERY different from
"Twig is a faggot" or
"Twig is a faggot"

I find it not okay to censor the forums. None of us are children (that's something else completely). Well except Karnie, but that kids has a potty mouth. If I want to say "Fuck it" no one is going to reduce me to "Screw it" or "%$#%@ It"
Back to top Go down
Leiter
Admin
Leiter

Peacebates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peacebates   Peacebates I_icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 9:47 pm

Which is why I have declined to censor the forums - not that I haven't been tempted sometimes. But if nothing else, I do believe in free speech, and I won't abuse the admin power of the forums.

I never asked anyone to stop using the words entirely. I think the closest I came to that was asking you to refrain from using such words around me. In general, I'm asking that you think before you speak so, because such words do have cultural and historical meanings that are highly offensive to some people.

My main lament is the increasing commonality and acceptance that these terms are finding in mainstream language, and the lack of regard that people give when they use the words. It is all well and good to say you mean no harm when you use a certain word, but the fact remains that people will take offense whether you mean it offensively or not.

Regardless of my own personal issues with specific words, my main point is this: give a care for others' interpretations of a specific nomination before you denigrate someone with a derogatory term. Or, in more simple language: think before you speak.
Back to top Go down
Twig
Admin
Twig

Peacebates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peacebates   Peacebates I_icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 9:52 pm

Because of the way I was raised, and what I've been around, I don't watch my mouth. It's not a concern for me, I think before I speak in certain situations, but on my PC or with my friends, there is no censorship, there is no thought, there is just.. me and my words.

But I do take into consideration that you find these words offensive, and because I know you, like you, and consider you my friend I will make every effort to not say them to you. Because I also have some manners.

As for the forums themselves, I apologies if you read something you take offense to, but.. You are surrounded by a bunch of teenage dudes Razz
Back to top Go down
Leiter
Admin
Leiter

Peacebates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peacebates   Peacebates I_icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 9:58 pm

A bunch of teenage dudes who I can probably beat the crap out of -- or do any of you have a higher black belt than I do?

I appreciate the consideration. That's all I ask.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Peacebates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peacebates   Peacebates I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Peacebates
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Sixth Column :: City of Heroes :: General Activity :: General Discussion-
Jump to: