The Sixth Column
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Sixth Column

Official Forums of the Sixth Column

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why i14 ruined CoH.

Go down 
+2
Karnie
Opus
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Opus
Soldat
Opus

Why i14 ruined CoH. Empty
PostSubject: Why i14 ruined CoH.   Why i14 ruined CoH. I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2009 7:34 pm

I think we all remember the thrill of finding an awesome pick-up group for the sewers, or a task force, or just for random missions - add one or two of your teammates to your friends list, make toons together, what have you - when levelling had a sense of achievement to it. When you were psyched when you finally got Stamina and the wretched end crashes would stop. You could go get capes and auras - make your character look like a badass. Your character changed and grew as you went - and then finally, level 50. It was a great feeling for me when I got my Corruptor to 50. It felt like you were actually doing something.

Those days ended when Architect was released to the public.

Now, you can get a brand-new toon to level 40 or higher in a single day. You sit at the entrance to a mission and just watch the XP meter sprint its way along. It's mindless and empty. People are powerlevelling new toons for the sake of eventually making them powerlevellers themselves.

This is not to say farming was absent in pre-i14 CoX. But it was a sacred thing - when someone on the coalition channel said they were starting up a TV farm, you scrambled to send the tell and get a spot. You had to deserve it, and while the levels came quick, it was nothing compared to AE farming.

Perhaps the worst part is, those who want to avoid these AE farms, for morality or for lag issues, pretty much have to solo - nobody does anything but AE now. It's disgusting.

Now there are those who will argue that farming isn't immoral, it's using the tools the game gives - and that's a veritable argument. But there's no substance to the game anymore. What're we getting to level 50 in two days for? High level content? Naw, there's AE, that's all the content you could want. PvP? That died after i13. The sake of saying you have another level 50? It's meaningless, but it's the most sensible answer I see.

If I can't get an AE farm - which is 95% of the time - there is nothing I can do. All of my characters are woefully inept at soloing, and soloing is also the most terribly boring experience I've found on the game. Falcon has complained of similar problems.

Because of i14, I feel that renewing CoH membership and buying the booster packs was a waste of time and money. (And the booster packs seem like a waste regardless, I paid $20 for shoulder pieces and capes for the most part.) Just another way to make my birthday seem like a disappointment, no?

I've had my peace now. Taking CoH off auto-renew for the time being.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/domeslap
Karnie
General
Karnie

PostSubject: Re: Why i14 ruined CoH.   Why i14 ruined CoH. I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2009 9:41 pm

PvP didn't die. Travel suppression and heal decay did in no means whatsoever kill PvP. I still PvP all the time as well as a bunch of my friends, whether they be from the Sixth or from PvP groups villainside and on test.

The Mission Architect craze will die down. People will still use it, it just won't be as crowded as it is in the mean time. You just gotta wait bro.
Back to top Go down
Opus
Soldat
Opus

PostSubject: Re: Why i14 ruined CoH.   Why i14 ruined CoH. I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2009 9:44 pm

Surely people will return to getting 1 level every week as opposed to 35 levels a day. That's the mentality of the average MMO player, right? Play for fun, not for rewards?
Back to top Go down
Karnie
General
Karnie

PostSubject: Re: Why i14 ruined CoH.   Why i14 ruined CoH. I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2009 9:49 pm

Please remember not everyone on CoX farms..
Back to top Go down
Twig
Admin
Twig

PostSubject: Re: Why i14 ruined CoH.   Why i14 ruined CoH. I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2009 9:59 pm

I'd first like to say. Ahem.

DOOOOOOOOOOOOM

Karnie wrote:
Please remember not everyone on CoX farms..

QFT

Opus wrote:
I think we all remember the thrill of finding an
awesome pick-up group for the sewers, or a task force, or just for
random missions - add one or two of your teammates to your friends
list, make toons together, what have you - when levelling had a sense
of achievement to it. When you were psyched when you finally got
Stamina and the wretched end crashes would stop. You could go get capes
and auras - make your character look like a badass. Your character
changed and grew as you went - and then finally, level 50. It was a
great feeling for me when I got my Corruptor to 50. It felt like you
were actually doing something.

Those days ended when Architect was released to the public.

Negative. Those days ended when you got your first 50. The GAME is getting old for you Opus and you're blaming it on something spectacularly brand new that people are using it to it's every extent. It's still way, way, way too early to be screaming Doom. Perhaps these last two weeks haven't been "fun" but that's because Issue 14 is not only brilliant, it's NEW. The farming nonsense is going to die down, either by the community or by the devs. And I do believe I have read enough Doom-sayers to think, "hm, there certainly are enough of you who hate this that you should be able to find a team together, especially on the second most populated server on the game."

Opus wrote:
nobody does anything but AE now. It's disgusting.
Really? Does it nauseates you? Mission Architect just came out, give it more time and don't Doom troll.

Opus wrote:

If I can't get an AE farm - which is 95% of the time - there is nothing I can do.
You are more than welcome on any farms I run, especially on a Nacht toon you will be 100% in. I'm sorry I don't run things red-side.
Back to top Go down
Opus
Soldat
Opus

PostSubject: Re: Why i14 ruined CoH.   Why i14 ruined CoH. I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2009 10:49 pm

Twig wrote:
I'd first like to say. Ahem.

DOOOOOOOOOOOOM

No

Twig wrote:
Negative. Those days ended when you got your first 50. The GAME is getting old for you Opus and you're blaming it on something spectacularly brand new that people are using it to it's every extent. It's still way, way, way too early to be screaming Doom. Perhaps these last two weeks haven't been "fun" but that's because Issue 14 is not only brilliant, it's NEW. The farming nonsense is going to die down, either by the community or by the devs. And I do believe I have read enough Doom-sayers to think, "hm, there certainly are enough of you who hate this that you should be able to find a team together, especially on the second most populated server on the game."

You'd think, but I've not found a single "regular" team to date.

Twig wrote:
Really? Does it nauseates you? Mission Architect just came out, give it more time and don't Doom troll.

wtf is "doom trolling"? This update has all but ruined my experience on the game and I am expressing my frustration over this fact. We spent money we don't have so I could play this again and this is what I get.

Twig wrote:
You are more than welcome on any farms I run, especially on a Nacht toon you will be 100% in. I'm sorry I don't run things red-side.

I sincerely appreciate this offer but you seem to ignore every tell I send to you and have not seen you farming since that first one I got my Nacht toon in.

For the last time, I'm not "doom-trolling" or "doom-quitting" or quitting at all.
As was said, the farming craze may die down. If it does not do so in less than a month, then I'm not going to pay for another month of doing nothing. I CANCELLED AUTO-RENEW, I DIDN'T QUIT.
Back to top Go down
Twig
Admin
Twig

PostSubject: Re: Why i14 ruined CoH.   Why i14 ruined CoH. I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 12:41 am

DOOOOOOM
Back to top Go down
Opus
Soldat
Opus

PostSubject: Re: Why i14 ruined CoH.   Why i14 ruined CoH. I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 1:38 am

Nice to know this is a mature community we have here.
Back to top Go down
Twig
Admin
Twig

PostSubject: Re: Why i14 ruined CoH.   Why i14 ruined CoH. I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 1:43 am

Heh
Back to top Go down
Killa
Komtur

PostSubject: Re: Why i14 ruined CoH.   Why i14 ruined CoH. I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 2:03 am

What you don't realize is, some people refuse to play AE. So they'll go on by themselves with a group of friends.

Also, AE is only going to be in hype so long before everyone gets burned out with it.. and eventually the devs will nerf it. lol
Back to top Go down
Twig
Admin
Twig

PostSubject: Re: Why i14 ruined CoH.   Why i14 ruined CoH. I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 6:36 am

And of course, Killa says it all as simplistically and well put as possible.
Back to top Go down
Opus
Soldat
Opus

PostSubject: Re: Why i14 ruined CoH.   Why i14 ruined CoH. I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 6:52 pm

I just don't see it happening. They've picked out a few farm mishes (such as the original "meow" one), but they could never stop it entirely unless they change the architect options entirely - remove easily farmed maps, custom enemies, communications officers and the like.

I'm not saying you have to agree with me, I'd just like you to see my perspective on it.
Back to top Go down
Twig
Admin
Twig

PostSubject: Re: Why i14 ruined CoH.   Why i14 ruined CoH. I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 7:59 pm

Thing is we understand it. And you're asking they get rid of everything that makes AE amazing in the first place. You can't get rid of farming. But you can reduce it and make it less frontline. And that will happen with time. Bah just read what kills said.
Back to top Go down
Opus
Soldat
Opus

PostSubject: Re: Why i14 ruined CoH.   Why i14 ruined CoH. I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 8:00 pm

I kinda did,
and farming is hardly all that makes AE amazing. k.
Back to top Go down
Karnie
General
Karnie

PostSubject: Re: Why i14 ruined CoH.   Why i14 ruined CoH. I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 10:35 pm

You're over-reacting to every single subject you have listed. Twig always farms.. i've learned that. lol. The AE craze will die down, they WILL nerf the XP over time, and they will reduce farming. Sure, maybe it won't stop, but it'll die down bro. There are plenty of teams out there, and even if they ARE doing AE they may not be doing farm missions... I see ALOT of people doing real missions bro. Just enjoy the experience. It's no reason to get worked up about. The system is great, you just gotta wait for it to get fixed, after all it's only been out for around 3/4 weeks.
Back to top Go down
Opus
Soldat
Opus

PostSubject: Re: Why i14 ruined CoH.   Why i14 ruined CoH. I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 11:51 pm

This is why I need to stop expressing my opinions entirely. No matter what I think, this is what happens.
Back to top Go down
Peace
Elite Guard
Peace

PostSubject: Re: Why i14 ruined CoH.   Why i14 ruined CoH. I_icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 4:14 am

Twig wrote:
DOOOOOOM

::cough::

DOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!

but really, since when did opus hate coh more than me!
Back to top Go down
Twig
Admin
Twig

PostSubject: Re: Why i14 ruined CoH.   Why i14 ruined CoH. I_icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 6:29 am

I wasn't talking about farming, I was talking about AE's beautiful flexability and open-endedness.
Back to top Go down
Peace
Elite Guard
Peace

PostSubject: Re: Why i14 ruined CoH.   Why i14 ruined CoH. I_icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 6:38 pm

But it does ruin the actual game, he has a point....
why do anything when you can just make a mission that gives you everything perfect
Back to top Go down
Opus
Soldat
Opus

PostSubject: Re: Why i14 ruined CoH.   Why i14 ruined CoH. I_icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 6:55 pm

Peace pretty much agrees with me for once.
Back to top Go down
Twig
Admin
Twig

PostSubject: Re: Why i14 ruined CoH.   Why i14 ruined CoH. I_icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 9:36 pm

"ruins" the game. for now.
Back to top Go down
Killa
Komtur

PostSubject: Re: Why i14 ruined CoH.   Why i14 ruined CoH. I_icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 11:09 pm

There are still badges you need to get.. that you can't get with AE.
Back to top Go down
Twig
Admin
Twig

PostSubject: Re: Why i14 ruined CoH.   Why i14 ruined CoH. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 12:26 pm

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnndddddd

It's nerfed Razz
Back to top Go down
Nacht Kanzler
Kapitan
Nacht Kanzler

PostSubject: Re: Why i14 ruined CoH.   Why i14 ruined CoH. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 1:54 pm

Shhh.
Back to top Go down
Karnie
General
Karnie

PostSubject: Re: Why i14 ruined CoH.   Why i14 ruined CoH. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 3:02 pm

hah
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why i14 ruined CoH.   Why i14 ruined CoH. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why i14 ruined CoH.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Sixth Column :: City of Heroes :: General Activity :: General Discussion-
Jump to: